Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Recipe: Lower Carb Creamy Cauliflower Soup

Last night, I made this for dinner and it was my first time ever making or having a soup like this.  It was really good and took on a similar taste to a loaded baked potato soup (but without the potatoes)!


INGREDIENTS

-  1 8oz package of cream cheese
-  1/2 cup heavy cream
-  1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
-  3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp minced garlic
3 tsp chicken bouillon
- minced onion to taste
-  garlic powder to taste
- salt pepper to taste
1 cup sliced carrots
2 1/2 lb head of cauliflower, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
4-5 bacon slices
2 green onions chopped
cheddar cheese, shredded

First let me say that I am not the kind of cook who follows recipes or measures most things.  If I am baking I do, but not cooking.  I have been cooking for a long time now, so I know what to add and omit in a way that we like.  I use recipes just as an outline or guide.   I love to use lots of different seasonings also, which I never measure.  If I were a betting gal, I would say I used a teaspoon of the ones above.

First, chop up the cauliflower, carrots, onion and green onions.  Set green onions aside, these are for topping.  Melt the butter in a large pot on medium heat.  Add cauliflower, carrots, onion, and salt & pepper.  Saute until veggies start to become tender, stirring occasionally.


Add flour and garlic to veggies, mix completely.


Add chicken broth and 2 bay leaves.  Bring heat to medium-high.  Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer adding a lid.  Let cook for 15-20 minutes, until veggies are tender.


Add milk, cream, chicken bouillon, and seasonings to taste.


  Cook until thoroughly heated.  Remove bay leaves.  Serve and top with cheddar, bacon crumbles, and green onions.


Voila!!

No comments:

Post a Comment