Wednesday, July 24, 2013

If You Listen To Nothing Else, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS!!

One of the most important things you can do for yourself, is taking care of your skin.  Like most things in life, you don't get a do over or a second chance, but you can make a difference starting today.  I was blessed, at the tender age of 11, my grandma taught me all about skin care.  To this day, it is one of the best gifts I have ever received!  My mom had allowed me to start wearing makeup.  It was only supposed to be mascara and lipstick, but it didn't last long.  I quickly started pushing it, and before she knew it, I had a full face of makeup on everyday.  My grandma noticed my changes, and decided that I needed to learn how to care for my skin, and properly apply makeup.  I remember standing over the sink in her bathroom while she explained the importance of cleaning and moisturizing every. single. day.  She showed me how to moisturizer, always lifting up on my face, and to never forget my neck.  She assured me that if I took care of my skin, I would have beautiful skin, and the aging process would be kinder to me......and yes, at 11 I was worried about aging! The next day, she took me to our local mall to the Estée Lauder counter.  She had them apply all my skin care and makeup.  They went through techniques, colors, etc.  She, of course, found it necessary to buy me everything (I'm a grandma's girl).  I was so excited!  I loved experimenting and playing around with all my new products.  I guess that's where my love for makeup and skin care started.

Fast forward almost twenty-five years, and I now more than ever, realize what she did for me that day.  I have over the past 5 years developed psoriasis and eczema, but I have learned how to combat that on my own, without prescription drugs or creams.  We all have different skin types, and different needs, and those needs are ever changing.  Whether its due to aging or some unforeseen skin disease or allergic skin rash.  If you don't know your skin type, start paying attention.  Do you break out easily?  Do you have dry patches?  Are you sensitive to products or experience redness?  How does your makeup look in the middle of the day?  How does your skin look or feel when you get up in the morning?  Are you getting age spots or fine lines?  Figure out whether you have dry, combination, oily or sensitive skin.  You may be a mix of a few.  Start researching and looking for products that address your needs.  It's never too late to start taking care of yourself.  Does it take time?  Yes.  Will you have to try a few different things to figure out what works for you?  Yes.  Will it be worth it?  YES!  YES!  YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment