Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How To: Smokey Eye & Neutral Lip

I've been meaning to do a pictorial for awhile now.  Since it has been so cold, and my son and I are stuck in the house anyways, I thought this was the perfect time to get it done.  The way I did my eye makeup is the way I typically do it, I just always use different colors.  For me, this is an everyday look, though I know this may be dramatic for many of you.  I chose colors that I thought would be flattering on most everyone, and I also used all drugstore products.  I figured if you would like to recreate any part of the look, the products would be easy to find and budget friendly.  Typically, I do contour and highlight, using additionally products, but I wanted to make this look an easy everyday look, using as few products as possible and not making it too complicated.  I will do a separate contouring and highlighting pictorial at another time.





Here is everything I used:

- Rimmel Fix & Perfect Primer
-  Maybelline Fit Me Stick Foundation -230
-  Revlon Photo Ready Concealer - Light/Medium
-  Maybelline Dream Lumi - Nude
-  Cover Girl - Instant Cheekbones - Refined Rose
-  Maybelline Color Tattoo - Bad To The Bronze
-Physicians Formula Matte Eye Shadow Palette - Classic Nudes
-Rimmel Scandaleyes Eye Liner - Brown
Maybelline Define A Brow - Medium Brown
-  Cover Girl - Lash Blast Luxe
-  L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara - Black
-  Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner - Addiction 018
-  Wet N Wild Mega Last Lipstick - Bare It All



These are all of the Face & Eye Brushes that I used


Step 1 - After applying my moisturizer, Rimmel Fix & Perfect Primer, Maybelline Fit Me Foundation, and my Revlon Concealer, I was ready to start my eyes.  I applied the color tattoo as a base on my lids.  I did not use a brush, just my ring finger for application.  This keeps your shadow from creasing and deepens the color of the shadows a bit.


Physicians Formula Matte Eye Shadow Palette


Step 2 - I applied the second lightest color (color #2) on my lid, on top of the color tattoo.  I used my flat shadow brush from Coastal Scents to apply (it's the 5th brush).  Using a tapping motion for this.  Don't swipe across the lid.  


Step 3 - Using my Bare Minerals Crease Brush (brush #6), I applied the second darkest color (color #1) to my crease.  I used a wind shield wiper motion across the crease.  Then, I used my E.L.F. Blending Brush (brush #7) to blend out the top line of the crease color.


Step 4 - I used the darkest shadow (color #4) on my crease, in the outer corner only.  I used the E.L.F. Blending Brush (brush #7) for this application.  Then, I applied the lightest color (color #3) to the brow bone and inner corner.  I used the flat Coastal Scents Brush (bush #5).  


Step 5 - I applied brown liner to the top and bottom lashes.  I only went about two-thirds of the way in on both the top and bottom lash line.  


Step 6 - Next, I applied the darkest shadow (shadow #4) over the eyeliner, using my Sephora Pencil Brush (brush #8).  I smudged this shadow over the entire top and bottom lash line for a smokey affect.


Step 7 - I filled in my brows (HUGE DIFFERENCE), and applied mascara.  2 layers of the Cover Girl on top and bottom lashes, and 2 coats of the L'Oreal on the top lashes.  


Step 8 - I applied the Maybelline Dream Lumi under my eyes, in an upside down triangle.  I like to do this step after my eye makeup in case there is any fall out.  This cleans that up.


I use my Sigma F80 brush (brush #1) to stipple this into the skin.  You could also use your ring finger to tap it in.  Just don't swipe it across.  It can disrupt everything you applied before it.  I love the brightening affect.


Cover Girl Instant Cheekbones Blush

I have been using this Cover Girl Blush since high school.  I have talked about it before.  I think this is a great blush for everyday, when you don't want to spend a bunch of time contouring and highlighting.  Everything you need for the cheeks is in one palette.  Of course, I don't contour and highlight my entire face with this, just the cheeks.  



Step 9 - I applied the darkest color in the palette to the cheekbone, where I would normally contour.  To figure out where you should contour start on your cheek, where the top of your ear attaches.  Brush in a diagonal motion.  I like to use my Real Techniques Contour Brush (brush #4), but any small face brush could work.  


Step 10 - I used my Real Techniques Blush Brush (brush # 2) to apply the middle color in the palette.  I started by applying the blush at the back of the cheek and blending it towards the apple of the cheek.  


Step 11 - I used a smaller blush brush (brush #3) to highlight the tops of my cheekbones, using the lightest color in the palette.

And Last, but not least...Lips.


Step 12 - I lined my lips and applied my lipstick.  This is a beige nude color. 


Step by step, this is exactly how I created this look.  This is an everyday look for me, though I know it may be more dramatic and have more steps than you may want to do.  Scale it down and customize it to fit your taste and time availability.  This is just a guide.  No matter the colors that you choose, just follow the steps from the lightest to darkest, and how I applied them.  You will get the same look, just with different colors.  I hope this pictorial helps and answers some questions you may have.  If you have any questions, please message me or leave a comment below.  

-XOXO Monique


No comments:

Post a Comment