Monday, January 20, 2014
Health Tip Of The Week - The Benefits Of Coconut Oil
There has definitely been a rise in the popularity of coconut oil in the past few years, and for good reason! Coconut oil has so many beneficial properties. Unlike other fats, coconut oil has medium chain triglycerides, which means that the body uses this fat instead of storing it. The body uses it to boost energy, raise HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol), and to level out blood sugar.
Some of the benefits of coconut oil - It's antimicrobial, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, and it is also an antioxidant. Sounds like a super fat to me! With all of these benefits, it can be used in a number of ways for great health benefits.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Acne: Dab a little on the inflamed pimple to help it heal faster.
- Dandruff: Massage into the scalp to relieve flaking and itching
- Cold Sores: With it's antiviral properties, it will speed the healing process. Just dab on the sore.
- Age Spots: Dab on the area to help with fading.
- Eye Cream: It will help relieve puffiness and dark circles
- Wrinkle Fighter: Apply to the face like any other moisturizer. It will leave you with smooth, silky skin that is hydrated, helping to plump out fine lines.
- Eczema & Psoriasis: Using this as a lotion, it will help relieve itchiness, flaking, and the dry patches.
- Hair Mask/Conditioner: Apply to hair for ten minutes to use as a conditioner. Leave in for an hour or overnight for the most benefit. I wrap my hair, and wash it out in the morning.
- Earaches: Just a few drops will help alleviate the pain.
- Shaving Cream: Smooth on and your razor will glide overtop, while leaving your skin soft and smooth.
- Appetite Suppressant: Take a spoonful before meals to keep from over eating.
- Lip Balm: Coconut oil will moisturize the lips, and it also has a natural SPF of 4 in it.
- Fitness: Coconut oil increases metabolism, boosts energy, improves thyroid function, improves stamina, and aids in weight loss.
When choosing a coconut oil, look for an organic, virgin, unrefined oil. Check your local grocery store, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's. I found mine at my local Kroger, in the Natures Market section. Coconut oil has so many healing properties, plus it's easy to find, is all natural, and inexpensive. Do something good for your body and skin by giving it a try!